Standing all day can wreak havoc on your feet, ankles and legs. Unfortunately, aches and pains from standing all day are all too common for many, including retail, manufacturing and hospitality workers. If you’re unable to stay off your feet, our board-certified specialists offer several ways for alleviating pain and preventing fatigue.
The Effects of Standing All Day
You’ve likely noticed standing on your feet all day leads to tired feet and legs. In some cases, it can also cause aches and pains that significantly impact your life. The effects of standing all day include:
- Leg cramps
- Muscle fatigue
- Joint pain
How to Relieve Leg Pain From Standing All Day
Try incorporating some of these techniques to alleviate pressure, aches or pain in your legs, ankles and feet:
- Take regular breaks: Take a short break and sit down for a few minutes every half hour to an hour. It won’t detract from your productivity — in fact, regular breaks may boost your energy.
- Stretch regularly: Stretch the muscles in your legs, feet and ankles to keep them limber and strong. Try using a foam roller or massage ball to gently wake up and warm the muscles before delving into deeper stretches to prevent injury.
- Wear supportive footwear: Find footwear with proper arch support and heel elevation. Always ensure you’re wearing the correct size shoe for proper blood circulation to your feet as well. You may need to up your footwear size to account for swelling that occurs throughout the day.
- Elevate your legs and feet: Your heart needs to work overtime to circulate blood when you’re standing all day. You may already put your feet up after a long day, but place a few extra pillows beneath them to elevate them above your heart. You can also lay down on the floor and rest your feet up against a wall.
- Wear compression socks: You can wear compression socks throughout the day to encourage circulation. If you opt for compression socks, ensure they’re not too tight and take them off if they become uncomfortable.
- Soak your feet: Epsom salts or essential oils like lavender oil can relax your muscles. Take an Epsom salt bath or soak your feet in a warm tub of water to alleviate and soothe muscle tension.
Contact NY Spine Institute for Leg and Feet Relief
Contact our team at the NY Spine Institute to learn more about relieving pain from standing all day, or schedule your appointment today.